Strike Funds for Members

There are two funds available: the national Fighting Fund and the Local Fund (see lower area of this page) provided by our branch. You may be eligible for both, as explained below.

Fighting Fund (UCU National Scheme)

Following industrial action members are reminded they can apply for the UCU national Fighting Fund, to supplement deducted earnings. To claim the Fighting Fund, log into the UCU members portal, go to My UCU and see the ‘Fighting Fund’ tab to begin a claim using the webform. Note, you must await your payslip to upload for each claim/ phase of action on the FF claimform.

Fighting Fund (IMPORTANT SHAPE update 19/07/21)

UCU’s national officers and congress has approved strike pay for staff who take all strike days during the industrial action based on the following:

  • Update 19/07/21 UoL suspension of boycott deductions – UoL have agreed to suspend deductions for the entire boycott period from 18/06 to 23/07. Boycotting staff will not therefore be subject to boycott deductions expected in Aug. All staff engaged in the intital strike of 24/05-11/06 should still claim FF for this action, see guide below.
  • FF fund was approved for the assessment boycott phase of the action which started 18/06/21, however, see note above on suspension of boycott deductions.
  • Strike pay of £50 per day after the third strike day for members earning over £30,000 and to £75 per day after the second strike day for members earning under that threshold.
  • Any individual/separate action has a limit of 11 days FF support.
  • Support will also be provided to hourly paid staff who may lose work as a consequence of taking strike action and strike pay will be made based upon your normal working patterns.
  • When to submit your Fighting Fund application:
    You must make individual/ separate FF claims for distinct SHAPE action(s):
    The first action is the 14 day strike 24/05-11/06.
    The second action i.e. the boycott phase from 18/06 is now subject to suspension of deductions, so normal pay will be in effect in Aug 2021. FF cannot therefore be claimed for the boycott phase at this time.
    1. FF submission for July payslip (24/05-11/06 strike action): Deductions for the intitial action ending 11/06 will occur in the July payslip, you can claim for this action by uploading your July payslip on the FF webform. You will likely input 14 in both fields asking for days of action & how many you care claiming for (a max. of 11 days is paid by FF regardless).
    2. FF submission 2 for Aug payslip (18/06 – boycott action): see note above, this action cannot be claimed at this time due to UoL suspension of deductions resulting in normal pay in August 2021. FF will of course available should those deductions be imposed at a later date.

Key facts about the National Fighting Fund (IMPORTANT – the below is Typical information only, also see above note for any current industrial action details):

  • Note the below national advice may be subject to change during each instance of industrial action. See latest national Fighting Fund guidance at
  • You will need to log into the national UCU members’ portal to register.
  • The typical rate is £50 per day (from day 3 onwards)
  • A higher rate of £75 per day (from day 2 onwards) is typically available for those earning less than £30,000
  • You need to be a valid member paying the correct subscription rate (check here).
  • You must be able to demonstrate deductions due to industrial action.

Help applying to the Fighting Fund

  • See the instructions for submitting your claim on the FF site.
  • The UCU FF has stated that “Members should make their claims as each deduction occurs, ie. as they get each payslip.”, so you are advised to claim on the basis of deductions as they arise in each payslip, however in any difficulty, you can make a single claim on your last payslip containing deductions.
  • The FF application will ask you to upload a scan of the relevant payslip, you can download this from CORE (please submit in PDF or JPEG format).
  • For enquires: (always cite your UCU membership number).

Local Fund (UCU Liverpool Branch)

You are able to apply to the Fighting Fund for initial coverage to offset deductions. For additional financial help, i.e. funds beyond the Fighting Fund daily allowance or other limitations you can also apply direct to the local branch committee for our Local Fund.

The local fund is intended for individuals suffering imminent financial difficulty due to strike deductions, such as staff employed on lower salary bands, hourly paid staff, those on precarious contracts/ facing end of contract circumstances. The local fund is also available to all who may need support to meet essential living costs to help them continue to participate in industrial action.

Please also consider donating to our Local Fund. Also see information on our Wage Sharing scheme.

To apply for the local branch Local Fund, please ensure you use our online Webform.

 Local Fund (IMPORTANT SHAPE update 19/07/21)

  • Update 19/07/21 UoL suspension of boycott deductions – UoL have agreed to suspend deductions for the entire boycott period from 18/06 to 23/07. Boycotting staff will not be subject to boycott deductions expected in Aug. It is not possible to claim LF for the boycott period at this time, as normal pay is currently in effect for Aug. LF will be available for the boycott action should ongoing circumstances require this. Staff can however claim LF for the initial strike period 24/05-11/06.
  • When to make a LF claim: Please make Local Fund claims for distinct phases of action – e.g. you can make a claim for the initial strike action ending 11/06.
    If you took part on the assessment boycott, you can make further Local Fund claim(s) as stike action arises, however, please see note on current UoL suspension of deductions above).
  • Evidencing LF claims: Rather than waiting for payslips you can claim up-front as soon as days of action are known. You can simply supply CORE ‘My Time’ scans/screenshots or equivalent evidence, this will result in avoiding multiple claims over several months). If you have difficulties evidencing action during the boycott please submit your claim and explain any difficulties on the webform.
  • Rates available: you can specify a lump sum of your choice. For the lump sum, please indicate desired funds required from £50-£350 in £50 increments, e.g. if you require £50, £100, £150 etc.
  • Important updateThe university has stated that it will not be deducting pay for participation in the marking and assessment boycott from 18/06 to 23/07, please factor these dates in any boycott action claim until further notice.
  • Further rate options for assessment boycott – [UPDATE – a LF daily rate option will be available in the event negotiations/outcomes require resumption of LF strike pay after 23/07. Pay from 18/06-23/07 will be paid as normal. For strike actions prior to 18/06 please make a lump-sum claim.]
  • Casualised staff and other staff facing precarious contracts or similar difficulties should also consider applying for the Local Fund to offset costs arising from strike action in these circumstances.
  • If you have further imminent costs arising due to the action beyond the Local Fund’s normal rate, please explain these on Webform.
  • Note for boycott phase of action – we can commit to supporting every boycotter at a daily rate of £50 (or £75 if earning less than £30k) from 24 July onwards if necessary, we encourage members to ask for support from the Local Fund at whatever level is needed in addition to the national fighting fund (please see detailed advice below).
  • This scheme is operated by the branch committee and not UCU national.
  • You should only apply for this scheme if you are seeking coverage of deductions above the normal Fighting Fund daily rate and need further support as a result of pay deductions for participating in industrial action.
  • Please supply the total number of days you were on strike, including the first three days (if you work part time, you can supply this as a decimal if required).
  • You need to be a valid member paying the correct subscription rate (check here).
  • You must be able to demonstrate participation in industrial action.
  • The Local Fund is only available for members who completed the full period of industrial action.
  • If you cannot for some reason meet the above requirements e.g. if you did not take action on all strike days, please contact the branch urgently and ask to speak to a branch officer.

To apply for the local branch Local Fund, please ensure you use our online Webform, for any difficulties or questions regarding the form, please contact the branch office by email (, the online form requires –

  • Your choice of payment type/ rate (see options above).
  • Your full name, residential address and UCU membership number.
  • An explanation of the circumstances of your Local Fund claim.
  • Documentation indicating strike days, e.g. you can download payslips from CORE (please submit in PDF or JPEG format).
  • For enquires: or see further branch contact options.
  • If you would like to request a discussion with a UCU branch official to discuss your Local Fund claim, please contact the branch using details shown above.